Friday, December 7, 2012

Giaman Market Trip



On Wednesday, Mandy and I wanted to go to market to take pictures. We didn’t have much desire to buy anything, seeing as we were leaving the country in two days, so we decided to recruit Alan. I called him and said, “Hey, want to go to market with us?”   He agreed, and we met him at his house.

When we saw him I said, “Hey, Alan, I have a new tok pisin word for you…giaman.” He looked at me funny and I explained that it meant to lie, to trick, something that is fake, or to be a conman.

We told him that we had no intention to buy anything at market but maybe he could give us his money and we could buy what he needed, while he took pictures of us. He was game, of course. Mandy started our venture. She proceeded to buy a pineapple while I was given the task of purchasing two bundles of rhubarb (Alan's favorite). 

Afterwards, we all bought donuts. Mandy said we should get some donuts before we left. We often get donuts on market days but this time we decided to buy them from two different ladies, to see which ones we like best. Alan got in on it and said he would buy from two other ladies, and then we could compare all four vendors. This of course got us thinking about doing a donut challenge.


We brought the donuts home and put them on four different plates. While I grabbed my camera Alan and Mandy proceeded to discuss where each set of donuts came from.



Then we taste tested them. We sorted and graded them by: density, do they have a smoky flavor, how much frosting do they have, and how much sugar each had.


The results are in, the lady at the first table on the left...wins!
You’ve got to enjoy the little things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment