Saturday, February 23, 2013

Flamingoed



One night when my eighth grade community group was over we discovered that my lawn had been claimed by four plastic flamingos. The girls began to giggle as I joyfully interrogated them to see if they had "flocked" me. They claimed it wasn't them. I looked at my new "friends" and came inside. They had been placed between my house and my neighbors so I was not quite sure if it was intended for me. Opening my computer I found this message:


Dear Amanda and Alan, 

I'm not sure whose house is currently flocked, so I'm sending this to both of you. You’ve been flocked by the Ukarumpa Youth Ministry Flamingos! This is a fundraiser for the Middle School Retreat. You can pay K10 (around $5) to have them moved immediately (or as soon as is convenient for our “flock movers”) to a yard of your choosing, or wait and by this time tomorrow, they will migrate to another location. Once they are gone, you can pay K10 for “flock insurance” to keep them from returning (insurance is valid for this week’s “flocking”).
Please take care of our flock by bringing them in at night and putting them back out tomorrow. They do not require food or water.

Thanks for helping out Youth Ministries!

My roommate, Brandy, and I decided we really wanted a "flock" of flamingos in our yard! As a person who is quite bitter toward lawn ornaments and tacky decor, I surprised myself by this desire. I called Alan to tell him what happened and he said that he had flocked me! He had been flocked earlier that afternoon and decided to allow me to share in the joy. The next morning he came over and helped me position them cleverly on the lawn. What fun!

1 comment:

  1. ha! I say we make our own echidnas and start flocking (or would it be "swarming"?) people without warning.

    ReplyDelete