Monday, February 18, 2013

My Girls



Have I mentioned that I lead a community group for eighth grade girls? I do and I love it. They have split the girls up into two groups so I only have six of them. They have been with me since July. Last year one of the senior girls had the group. My girls remind me so much of myself when I was their age. I have even said to two of them that if they were put together they would be me. They laughed, but I wasn’t kidding. Although, I admit, they are sweeter than I was. I remember always getting away with devious plans that some middle school boy with an underdeveloped brain would willingly carry out. Thankfully, they are nothing like that.

Each Wednesday the girls come over to my house and we discuss what they have been learning, we pray together and share with one another. I have really enjoyed these moments with them. They constantly challenge me in my faith. They also remind me to enjoy the little things in life.

Working with middle school, as some of you may know, is also quite tricky. The time frame for deep and meaningful conversation is limited. Some weeks I come off strong, determined to get them to think deeply about a specific topic and they are all giggles. Whereas other weeks they walk in and groan when the time flies. An hour a week is just not enough time.

Lately, I have been trying to find more time to spend with them outside our set community group. In January, I was privileged to be a sponsor at the middle school (7th and 8th grade) spiritual retreat. Oh yes, I said privileged. Alan was also one of the sponsors. As we walked to the retreat a few people asked where we were going and I told them. This was met with, “good luck” and “hope you get some sleep.” I walked away thinking, “I am glad I can do this. I enjoy these kids and want to get to know them more especially on a deeper level. If I say yes to something I want to enjoy it and put effort into it.” I guess what I’m trying to say is, we’re all different. Instead of saying “good luck” why not say “thanks for doing that” or “I’m glad you are enthusiastic and willing to invest in our teens.”  Okay, you get my point.


The retreat was great!  It was entitled Extreme Faith. The speaker was easy to relate to and funny, always a plus. Each day we sponsors would lead a small group discussion. The speaker would later gather all the leaders and gage how the teens are responding to his message. It was nice to have a chance to interact with the kids, the adult sponsors and watch as my particular girls grow in their faith.

Alan and I had a lot of fun with the kids as well. We took them to the river and found a ledge to jump from. Attending a spiritual retreat you never know what is going to impact you. Every day I found something that touched my life personally. I found that the more vulnerable and open I was with my girls the more they would be with me, or at least would feel more comfortable to ask the more awkward of questions.

  
Two weekends ago two of my girls were baptized at the river. For some reason, baptisms here always seem to land on rainy days. They had both asked if I would pray for them after they came out of the river. Honored, I agreed. I watched with pride as both of them gave their testimony in front of our umbrella clad community. I teared up as their fathers confirmed their daughters’ devotion to God and lowered them in baptism. Then it was my turn. Zipping my jacket to my chin, I hugged them and began to pray, thanking God for their desires to follow him every day of their lives. Each girl was asked to choose three people to pray for them after they were baptized. All the girls asked their parents and their community leaders to pray with them. This is pretty neat. I hope that God can continue to use me as I minister in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment