Monday, May 20, 2013

Twinkle

The eyes of my five Papua New Guinean students twinkled when they were informed of our newest Social Studies topic- Papua New Guinea. As they sat up straighter I could see the pride well up inside each one. Over the next few weeks, the class would be studying their country. That meant...they were the experts. 

School rarely comes easily to these students. They have worked very hard to learn everything, beginning with the English language. So when the occasion arises like this one, where they don't have to fight so hard to learn something new, they seize it. They become the leaders.

I, on the other hand, struggle a bit with our Social Studies units. Each term we study a different country. So far we have studied Australia, USA, Japan and now PNG. Being an American who grew up in Colombia, my limited knowledge is evident. It's a good think I am teaching eight and nine year olds!

To begin our PNG studies unit the children were sent outside to find materials to build a traditional bush house. They were given the option of gluing it down on a piece of paper or building a 3-D model. This project may take a few weeks, but in my perspective, it has peeked their interest. 



Our classroom is currently sprinkled with kunai grass, twigs, branches, pieces of plants and banana leaves. Multiple students begged to skip recess and Music class in order to work on their houses. "Wait until tomorrow", they were told. As they left the classroom to go home, I could hear them planning with each other and comparing notes. Isn't it wonderful! They are learning and they don't even realize it!

Walking home today I thanked God for the ability and desire to learn. It doesn't come easily to all of us, and it certainly never has for me, but I am able. As a teacher, I hope I never forget the twinkle in the eyes of students, the dedication of the struggling, the accomplishments...even the small ones, and the pride of belonging.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun :-) And good job thinking up something creative to get them involved!
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete