Monday, July 1, 2013

The past two weeks

Ever since I have known Alan, he has spoken highly of Rugby. It was his home away from home. He spoke of if with fond memories. Everyone who heard of this rustic mountainous town in Tennessee, wanted to go for one reason or another. I promised Alan that when we were back in the states we would go. Now that we are back, it turns out, we will be able to go twice during our five week trip.
We have been in the states for two weeks now. Quite a lot has happened. We flew into Dallas, Texas and stayed a night with my friend Lynn. It was great for her to finally meet my soon to be husband. Lynn and I have been friends since we were little girls. I assure you all, she approves of my choosing!

In Dallas we picked up a beautiful red 2005 Pontiac Vibe. A Wycliffe member was buying it for his recently married daughter and needed to get it from Dallas to Orlando. We volunteered to take it to Charlotte, North Carolina. The car worked great! After driving pieced together cars in Papua New Guinea, this was a treat! God was gracious to us by providing this car. It certainly saved us money but also gave us freedom.
After visiting Lynn we began our road trip from Dallas to Alabama. In the past two weeks we have been in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina. We really aren't trying to win a "how many states can you get to in five week" challenge. It was so nice to be on smooth roads, driving faster than 30 miles per hour (our typical driving speed on our center), and just being able to be alone.


We spent a week in Alabama together visiting Alan's family. Alan became my tour guide, and what a tour guide he was. He took me to the house he grew up in, the house he lived in when he was in college (affectionately called the Wolary), where he used to work, and to a variety of delicious restaurants. What a cute area! It was fun to go places with him. He also introduced me to his friends, who I feel, will quickly become my friends. It is comforting to know that when we are in the states we will have a place to "fit".

I met his family that week, his parents, two brothers and my future sister-in-laws. They are lovely! I had no idea that I was loved so much by people who hardly knew me. It sure makes things easier. We were showered by hugs and gifts from his parents. My mother has also expressed her delight that I am marrying into a family that cares for me so much.


The first weekend we all headed to Rugby. Alan's older brother and wife came up from Atlanta. We all met at their family house, Martin Roost. This house was built by Alan's great grandfather. We took a walk and I admired it's simplicity, age, and beauty. I was honored to receive the Halbrooks' tour, which, I have been told, is the best! They introduced me to the waterfall, which I proceeded to jump off into a icy cold pool below. I received a lesson on catching fish with a homemade fishing pole and a lesson on removing a fish from the hook (something I have always been terrified to do). Alan and his brother Ben proved their manliness by slathering mud on their bodies and doing a war dance. I, may I add, did not participate in this. We were later treated by a delicious four course dinner at a cozy bed and breakfast owned by a close friend of the family.


Although it was a short visit, it will always be in my memory. In the midst of wedding preparation, travel, and other stresses...a rest in the mountains of Tennessee was very much needed and welcomed. I have been initiated into the family. Alan and I will return in a little while and I am sure I will have just as much fun, if not more.

In five days we will be married. I can't believe it is so close! Tonight Alan travels from Alabama to North Carolina...to me! I can't wait! He had stayed in Alabama another week while I went to North Carolina to help my mother with wedding preparations. Each day brings more and more people to Waxhaw for the big day. July 5th can not come any sooner! There are so many people that I want to see and so many things I want to do, but there is just so little time.


5 comments:

  1. What a delight to hear your tale of travel and fun in Tennessee! Will you be living there after your wedding? Hurray for families!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you! This sounds like a wonderful whirlwind full of amazing experiences and memories. Blessings to you! Wish we could be there for the big day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great that you got to see where Alan is from and have a pleasant time with his family. :-) Wish I could come down for the wedding, but I'll have to wish you joy from afar. Congrats! :-)
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to take a minute to thank you Dr obodo for all of your work and effort. I requested a binding love spell and received the strengthen our relationship love spell as my free spell and within 3 days Sam was back and home with me and we are finally talking about marriage and kids! I cannot thank you enough for your spell casting services! I have already recommended two friends to you for help with their love lives!!!mail dr obodo @ templeofanswer@hotmail.co.uk or call +2348155425481

    ReplyDelete
  5. DOC OBODO SPELL CASTING FOR PERFECTION +2348155425481November 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM




    "I never thought I'd win her back but with your help,Doc obodo of templeofanswer@hotmail.co.uk, I have. Thank you so much.
    Shaun, Cumbria, UK.

    ReplyDelete