Monday, April 21, 2014

Happy Easter!

Dear Friends,

Early this morning, before the sun was awake, my husband and I walked to the top of the hill to enjoy an Easter sunrise service. In addition to Easter being my favorite holiday, this tradition is definitely on to the top of my list.

Last year Alan and I, along with our friend Steve, organized the service but this year I just wanted to attend. I wanted to enjoy being in God's presence. Sometimes it's more difficult to do that when you are making sure everyone else is doing well and the program is going smoothly.

Thankfully two of the teen hostels volunteered and did a lovely job. When we arrived we placed our flowers in a container and were handed a rock. We set up our camping chairs and began to enjoy the early morning singing.

After a few minutes we were asked to bring our rock, which represented sin, and bring it to the cross. Once the rock was placed at the foot of the cross we were encouraged to take some flowers and adorn it. The cross is wooded but a chicken wire has been wrapped around it so flowers could be held in easily.

Music continued to play as people gathered but we remained. I am glad we stayed back because soon afterwards we began to sing Because He Lives by Bill Gaither. This is an older song, one I used to sing when I was a child. As we sang the words, tears filled my eyes and all I could do was listen. I was too chocked up. Here are the words:

God sent his son they called him Jesus
He came to love, heal and forgive
He lived and died to buy my pardon
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives

Because he lives I can face tomorrow
Because he lives all fear is gone
Because i know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just because he lives

How sweet to hold a newborn baby
And feel the pride and joy he gives
But greater still the calm assurance
This child can face uncertain days because he lives

And then one day I'll cross the river
I'll fight life's final war with pain
And then as death gives way to victory
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives

What a lovely song! And what a wonderful reminder that God is already present in tomorrow. No matter how awful or wonderful it may be, God is present. I began to think of all the people I know who are suffering, from a lost family member, a struggling marriage, a miscarriage, people who no friends, or struggling with depression. God is present today and tomorrow.

I also cried thinking of all the plans I have for Alan and my life (and of course, being a planner, my future children's life...though they aren't in our conversations at the moment). God made me a planner for a reason right? He made me desire the "big picture". I need to remember that God holds the future. Even though life is unpredictable. Even though life on the mission field is changing constantly, I need to continue to remember to live for him because he died for me.

I hope you have a wonderful Easter!

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Amanda! Happy Resurrection Day to you and Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have a wonderful Easter with family (though no sunrise service), thanks for sharing yours! :-)
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete