Thursday, May 1, 2014

Corelle Does Break

I grew up, like many missionary kids, using Corelle dishes. Apparently there were only a few patterns that were purchased by missionaries. :) It was said that Corelle does not break, and for the most part, it doesn't. I have dropped many of dish in the sink and onto the counter, but nothing like this. The other day...it broke. I am not talking about "pieces you can glue back together"...it shattered, as you can see in the picture.

As I was washing the dishes I pulled a plate out and began to dry it when all the sudden it slipped out of the dish towel and landed on the floor. YIKES! Alan and I were both barefoot at the time but luckily the pieces landed around us. We stood their in shock. Pieces had landed everywhere: under the refrigerator, in the corners of the kitchen, even out into the hallway close to our bathroom.

After we recovered our breath we both laughed. Corelle breaks? It sure does. We are still finding teeny-tiny pieces... usually in my feet....even after sweeping a half-dozen times.

So beware y'all, Corelle is great and can handle bonks, slips and what-nots but not a full on drop!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I distinctly remember being ten years old and dropping one of those white-with-green-ivy-rimmed Corelle plates in the kitchen as I was taking it to the sink when we were visiting Dorello. It did indeed *shatter* and scattered tiny knife-sharp pieces across the whole kitchen floor - and of course I was barefoot! I remember so well that feeling of standing there with my mouth open: Oh what have I done? And what do I do now?
    Thankfully Mom, though also barefoot, was standing outside the kitchen and could reach the broom, so we got it taken care of while I very carefully didn't move. But ever since then, I have known that Corelle is not *completely* unbreakable. :-)
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely there is some parallel here between burnout before furlough and breaking dishes that have survived forever!?!? Love that you're my neighbor, friend! When we're both back in Uka, you have to live nearby!!!

    ReplyDelete