Saturday, May 3, 2014

Banquet Invitation

Here in Ukarumpa we have many traditions, one of which being the Junior/Senior Banquet. Instead of doing a Prom for the teens we have created Banquet. On the day of Banquet the teens dress up in suits and fancy dresses and walk in to banquet, with the community watching (I'll show you more pictures when that happens in a few weeks)....but first, they have to be invited. I am still not quite sure why since everyone knows the 11th and 12th graders are the only ones attending, but it's tradition.

This year it was up to Jeff and Kristin Brewer to organize the delivering of the invitations. The actual day of delivery is a secret as well as the theme of Banquet. If you know, you are sworn to secrecy! Seriously, parents go ALL OUT to keep it from their teens.

One night they called us up and asked if Alan could help them with their idea. We went over to their house for dinner to discuss the details of it all. They wanted Jeff and Alan to lip-sync to the song Classic by MKTO. Have you ever heard of it? I hadn't, until that day. Apparently the teens are obsessed with it and blasted it on the Senior Retreat, which the Brewers attended, so we were sure they'd love it.

A few days before they held a meeting and invited parents, teachers, and Bible Study leaders to attend. Instructions were given. Five eras were represented: 40's, 50's, 60's 70's, 80's, and the 90's. Thanks to our well stocked costume room, we were able to give each volunteer an outfit that will shock!
 On the day of, Friday, right at break time the music came on and out came Jeff and Alan with their microphones!

Oh yes, that's my husband with the black fro! Every time they finished their part, another "era" would join the jumble of dancers. Kristen and I were the adoring fans! My job was to come out from behind the building screaming, jumping and waving my sign around. I think I did a pretty good job too, might I add!:)
I failed to get a picture of the actual Banquet invites, but trust me, they were amazing! Well done ladies who put fifty of them together.

This is just one of the many fun things that happens in Term 4!  We have fun around here.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, that's so cool! :-) Hooray for traditions. :-) The black fro looks great on Alan :-)
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete