Saturday, June 25, 2011

Coffee makers?

I do not consider myself an "avid" coffee drinker but when I came to this country and tea was offered I realized how coffee addicted I actually was. Quit pretending Amanda, you're addicted.



While attending POC training for 14 weeks we had "Tea Time" at 10:00am and 3:00pm in addition to the normally scheduled meals. After a few weeks I noticed I was getting either tea or coffee four times a day! I know, this may not seem like that much to those of you who have coffee cups strewn about in your house, microwave, and counters on a regular basis each day, but for a person who claims to be different...this was a shocker for me! I had to make changes. I decided I would only have it during one tea time, that was the plan. WELL...then we had weekends where we had to learn to cook "bush style" over the fire. This was fine, I decided I could certainly go a WEEKEND without coffee, my two roommates could so why couldn't I. This decision was made BEFORE the weekend began. By the first Sunday...I needed something so started roaming around to see who would be a "Good Samaritan" and help a gal out! I wandered over to the two single guy's "haus kuk" (outdoor kitchen) and found that, though they did not make much to eat they did have a coffee plunger. Tyler generously shared his coffee with me each morning of our many "haus kuk" weekends. Thank you Tyler! For encouraging my additions? Maybe...or just making me a happier person to be around!


During the week we had coffee made in a regular coffee maker, but once we got the village things became a little more complicated. With no electricity and no coffee plunger (it belonged to the guys) we settled for instant coffee. I know, but what could you do?! I actually began to enjoy the instant coffee! In PNG they have something called Nescafe 3-in-1 (coffee, creamer, and sugar). This kept me going. Of course when my village partner pulled out the instant VIA singles we had a "Starbucks Moment". We drank our coffee (water boiled over the fire), closed our eyes and pretended we were listening to classical music! You do what you can!



When I arrived in Ukarumpa I thought, "Surely I will have my own coffee maker!", but this depends on whose house you are renting/staying in and whether they want to leave one for you to use. I live in group housing so this is not provided. I have to admit I began to go through "coffee withdrawal". We live in a country that is KNOWN for their coffee (though nothing will ever beat Colombian coffee!) I need a coffee maker. My roommate Joy pulled out the coffee maker. "This is how it works" she explained. "First you put water in the bottom part, then you fill the small metal strainer with coffee grounds. Then you take the top part and connect it to the bottom part, put it on the gas stove and wait for the water to boil up through the grounds and fill up the top section."

Yeah! I was not a fan....but now, I think it's pretty neat! This is what I do when I am home but for the most part I hope that the coffee maker is on at school, to fulfill my coffee cravings!



So, when you are sitting in the drive through waiting on your coffee and you start to get upset that it's taking "too long"...think of this blog, be glad you are not boiling your water over the fire, and take a sip for me! :)

2 comments:

  1. I rarely sit in the drive through, but when I am sipping my coffee ( as right now, for instance) this is a good reminder to pray for you! Blessings. We miss you!
    Leigh Ann. (law)

    ReplyDelete