Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Oh the Power of Rain

As I sit on my couch under my blanket sipping my Good Earth tea I can hear the rain falling outside. Rain can bring about so many feelings and can affect a variety of things in this country, I thought I would share a few.

If I am sitting in my cozy little apartment, as I am right now, rain is peaceful. I can hear it filling up my water tank (which I use for cooking, cleaning, and washing). This is ALWAYS a good sound!

If I am at school and it is minutes before my wild Kindergarten class has recess or PE...it is not as wonderful and peaceful...it is a nuisance. Besides, all teachers know that children suddenly "loose it" when it rains. (Try teaching in a place where it rains half the year!)

If I am walking down the road and all the sudden I see it on the horizon I know I'm doomed. Rain in this country doesn't doddle...it's quick and it means business! So I begin to run up the hill, then down, then up again to get to my apartment that sits on the top of 30 million stairs...before it hits me. And more than likely I will be half soaked (umbrella or not) by the time I reach my porch. This kind of rain is NOT cool!

If you like mudsliding, you would like this rain! Pick the hill...we have plenty!

If I walk to school every morning tripping on the rocks and slick dry dirt and the next morning I wake up to a wet road...I will be pleased. Those ridiculous "bolders" are now pushed down into the road and my feet are happy!

If my roommate is out in the village and it rains for three days straight they might be stuck in a big mudbath, no electricty and a river flowing through what USE to be an airstrip...that kind of rain is not welcome.

If I have laundry out on the line and it begins to rain RIGHT before school finishes...Amanda's not a happy camper. Guess I'll just wait until the next sunny day.

BUT, at this moment ...I'm lik'n rain. FILL up my tank and water the gardens. Push those rocks down and let me not slip tomorrow morning.

rain rain go away, come again at night when I don't have to think about you!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment