Friday, November 16, 2012

Meet Alan



                                                         The first picture I had of Alan T.

In July a new single guy, Alan Halbrooks, arrived in Ukarumpa. It was quite an event, though I doubt he realized it. We all knew he was coming because in church on Sunday morning his picture showed up on the power point along with when he intended to arrive and what he intended to do. When a normal singles gathering is one guy to ten girls, and often the male represented is quite a bit older, we were delighted to have a new member of The Crowd as we call our singles group.

Alan arrived a few days before school began in July and took on his classes as the 9th and 10th grade English teacher. Since he came during break, he was invited to many social events. I, for one, only have time to plan game nights or parties when I am not completely consumed in teaching. So we got to know him a bit through our gatherings.

The school year started up but I had grown curious of this blond haired-red bearded man with a jolly laugh. I had decided I wanted to get to know him better. With in a few weeks my roommate Mandy and I were spending lots of time with Alan and our friends Leah, Donna, and Brandy (yes all girls, but this is how it goes).

In an attempt to get to know his students on a more personal level, Alan would throw pancake dinners and invite his students to his house. Leah, Mandy, and I would go as chaperones and to hang out with each other. I don’t think I realized as the time how blessed I was going to be to get to know the teens in this way. I was also able to get to know Alan and Leah better and hear their heart for the Lord, for missions and for the youth here on center.

Over school break the four of us were invited to go on a trip to Lae with our friend Donna. We traveled in her Japanese fire truck, avoided potholes, shopped till we dropped, and filled ourselves with oh-so-delicious restaurant goodness. Our trip was very relaxing and also very telling. This guy that was quite intriguing to me had become my friend but on this trip he had become a bit more than that. I found myself attracted to him. I realized I was also passionate about the things he was passionate about. I found that he enjoyed being around me as much as I enjoyed his company. He has direction but not just for a job but to do something that matters and that brings glory to God, which seems to be a rarity these days. My mind began to spin. It's been a while since anyone has been interested in me.

The week following we spent quite a bit of time together, to my delight. We are both fond of tennis so this became a common pastime (though we did more talking and laughing than actual playing…so don’t bother challenge us to a match J). The last day of the week Alan asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes…and giggled stupidly!

We have officially been dating now for seven weeks. Being the only single dating couple here on center we are the talk of the town, though things are calming down a bit. If you think of if please pray for our relationship, for our direction, and our ministry- that we will continue to devote ourselves to ministering to the children of Ukarumpa.

Here are some pictures. The top one was from our first date at the lovely Led Café, a family in Ukarumpa sells coffee and breakfast at their house on occasional Saturdays. The bottom one was snapped by a papua-ratzi during our annual Carnvial put on by the teens for the community.



5 comments:

  1. I love how there's not even an attempt made to explain why I'm dressed like a jester... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said the top was your first date:)

      Delete
    2. Well that would certainly make for an interesting follow up story!

      Delete
  2. You two are so much fun to be around!

    ReplyDelete