Monday, November 26, 2012

Things that Amuse me



The things that amuse me right now are things that are often uncommon here in Papua New Guinea. Things that stand out from the norm and yet in the states they would be considered "the norm".

New White Socks

The other day I realized I was in need of a new pair of socks. My old ones were loosing their elasticity, they were dyed a brownish-yellow color like most of our clothes, and were wearing down. I pulled out my bag of never been used clothing and found some white socks. They were so soft, so white, and fit! I was so thrilled that I even called my roommate in to admire them. She responded just like me...with excitement. 

 
Brightly Colored Clothing

Clothing in this country fade quickly. They fade and stretch from being dried on a clothes line, from being worn each week and for so long. So when someone puts on a new shirt…especially a white one…we all stop and stare. A new couple came to center a few weeks ago and I found myself staring at them. They asked me what was up and I said, “Oh sorry…I’m not used to seeing bright colors.”

 Paved Walkway

Across the street from my house a building is being renovated. Part of the renovation was to put in a paved walkway. When they first put down the cement I just stood there and looked. We missionaries do a lot of staring and looking. I wanted to touch it! When most of your travel is done on dirt, grass and rocks…pavement is amusing. I laughed to myself and thought what is the point of paved walkways?


 iPad

I was introduced to an iPad this week and it, too, amused me. I would like to preface by stating I have never been a techy kind of girl. I can get around facebook, websites, blogs, and new online grading systems but I have never been up to date on new technology, nor have I had the funds to purchase new gadgets. I remember buying an iPod in 2010 and realized I was WAY behind the time. Honestly though, I am okay with that. Sometimes, and I know Alan would agree with me, new technology is not worth raving about and can even distract us from enjoying one another in person. It still amused me.

Olive Oil

Our store is small and carries what we need. On occasion it has additional things (such as Pringles and Pop Tarts ;) but rarely does it have more than one brand. Today I found three brands of Olive Oil. First of all, might I had, we have not have Olive Oil in the store for a month or so. Now, we have three brands. I didn’t know what to do with so many options!


 Sports Car

The other day during journaling time, one of my second grade students wrote about his dad’s new car that came on a ship. Curious, I asked him if it was a toy car. Missionaries often ship boxes to PNG with toys, clothes, and household items, but have also been known to ship vehicles. He told me that he and his friend had ridden to school in the car. A sports car in PNG, what a concept. But sure enough, I saw it drive by on Saturday. 


1 comment:

  1. Hahaa! I love it. Thanks for the anti-technology shout out. :)

    ReplyDelete