Friday, November 2, 2012

There are Moments...


There are moments, as a teacher, where my students make me laugh and other moments where I feel like crying. Sometimes these moments can happen with in minutes of each other. When I was teaching in the North Carolina I would say, “Every day something happens to remind me why I am enjoy teaching and something else to remind me that I still have a long way to go.”

This past week I was teaching my second grade students how to improve their sentences. We began with a simple sentence:

            We are having fun.

I explained that this sentence is okay. It has a subject, an action, and is a complete sentence. We talked about how we can use “meatier” words to make the sentence more interesting and give the reader a better mental picture. We talked about how often readers ask questions such as: Where are you having fun? Who are you having fun with? What are you doing that is fun?

After modeling how to write an “okay” sentence, I modeled how to write a “good” and a “great” sentence. They were then left on their own to write an okay, a good and a great sentence. The ones I read and that were read out loud seemed to sound as though they understood the concept.

            We are having fun. (okay)
          We are having fun at the beach with my family. (good)
          My family is  having fun surfing on the waves at the beach. (great)

          We are having fun. (okay)
          We are having a lot of fun. (good)
          My brother and I are having a lot of fun at the store. (great)

And then I read these:

            We are having fun. (okay)
          We are really, really having fun. (good)
          We are having really, really, great, super fun. (great)

          We are having fun! (okay)
          We are having lots of fun! (good)
We are having lots and lots of fun with my friends at my house and we laugh until we cry! (great)

We are having fun. (okay)
We are having good good fun. (good)
We are having the best funnest fun ever from the whole world! (great)

This of course, made me laugh and sigh. I guess I will be teaching this concept again next week. 

1 comment: